Despedida, parte dos

Thursday, May 29, 2014 | |

This post will be short because there's just too much to say and I can't say it all.

It's four in the morning and I'll be heading to the airport in a few minutes. If all goes well with migración, I'll be on my way to the United States in a few hours.

I can't quite believe that it's time to go. There were certainly long days but ultimately, it felt short which means, of course, that it didn't really feel long enough. I didn't teach my students enough, I didn't improve my Spanish enough, I didn't visit enough places, I didn't make enough friends, I didn't eat enough tacos. A lot is left unfinished.

But, evidently, it's time to go.

There are some things that I won't miss - 7 AM classes, men yelling at me in the street, systems I don't understand, bureaucracy that just won't quit, washing my clothes by hand, eating more meat than vegetables, bottled water, never blending in, homesickness, the list goes on.

But there's so much that I will miss - my students in all their laziness and intelligence and kindness and humor, the food, the friendliness of strangers, the bright colors, buying tortillas by the kilo from the "chicken place" on my block, fresh fruit, traveling, beaches, butterflies, mountains, calaveras, mezcal, pulque, newness, Spanish, learning to cook new dishes, always being so "unique", free time, relaxed schedules, new friends, a perpetual sense of awe.

I'll come back - I know that - but it won't be the same. It never is, is it? Now I'm going "home" but that won't be the same either. And so I'm caught in between, crying because I'll be happy to see friends and family and drink tap water but also because I'm sad to say goodbye to my life here and I'm a little afraid of what's to come.

But the taxi has been called and it's time to say a prayer and venture forth. I'm carrying you with me, México, and I'll try to treat you well.

Ya vamos. 

1 comments :

Lindsey Franger said...

awww...so glad you had an overall positive experience here. I can definitely relate to a lot of things on your "con" list...men and bureaucracy being at the top of my list. arggg!

There are so many things to be discovered and cherished here as well. I know one day I will have to say goodbye to Oaxaca, and leave behind its mole, warm water, hammocks, fresh coconuts, people that have time to sit down and talk and passion fruit.

Best of wishes on your next adventure!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.