Despedida, parte 1

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 | |

Tomorrow is my last day at the school, and I leave Mexico the day after that.

The despedidas, the goodbyes, the "lasts" have begun.

Last week, I had my official despedida at school. I thought it was going to be full of ridiculous ceremony - and it was - but it was also really sweet and a wonderful way to start off my last week here. A couple of students spoke, a couple of students danced, and all of second year gave me spoken-word-style snaps, which was so happy-making. 







The day after my despedida, I got the chance to do something I'd be hoping to do since I first got to Mexico - learn to make mole. Jayime's mom generously offered to share her culinary wisdom with me and invited me to her house Thursday afternoon. We made mole verde in her mother's cazuela, using her grandmother's recipe and I now have almost-incoherent instructions on how to make both mole verde and mole rojo scrawled in Spanglish on the back of an old lesson plan.






I doubt that any mole I make will ever be as delicious as what was in that steaming cazuela, but it's pretty cool that I kinda-sorta know how to make it now, right? I'm pretty sure this is the best souvenir I'm bringing back from Mexico - a generations-old recipe, packed full of love and ready to be shared with friends and family. Hope you're ready to taste my attempts to recreate it!

(Stay tuned for more despedida-type reflections...)

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

What wonderful, priceless (and delicious) memories you have!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.