Visitors!

Thursday, April 3, 2014 | |

It's (unsurprisingly) been awhile since I last wrote, which is annoying, I'm sorry, but in the meantime, I've had a handful of wonderful visitors and I'm finally going to tell you all about them!

In February, my dad and my stepmom Bonnie took a week-long break in their busy schedules to come see me! They spent their first weekend in DF and then made their way over to Toluca for a few days. Things here were a little hectic since Obama was coming to town, but we still managed to see the Nevado, check out Metepec, and enjoy some chorizo. For their last weekend here, we headed to Puebla (I visited it for the first time back in September) and enjoyed the delicious food, colonial architecture, and the nearby ruins. I also convince Bonnie to try pulque, which earned her some major street cred.


While they were visiting, I found out that my dear friend India made a last-minute decision to go to Cancun with her family and figured out a way to squeeze in a visit with me before she continued south. She got here about two weeks later and it was a fantastic treat to spend a few days with her. We stayed in DF for the weekend, mostly hanging out in Coyoacán. We went to the Frida Kahlo museum (my second time there), saw Diego Rivera's private collection, enjoyed the weirdness of Xochimilco, were overwhelmed by the Zocalo, and ate a lot of good food.


Then, India came back to Toluca with me. I think she was pretty underwhelmed by the city itself, but we had fun relaxing in Metepec and a grand ol' time in lovely Malinalco. It was a little tricky to get to but I'm a pretty big fan of that town now. 



AND THEN, the day after India left, I flew down to meet Kevin in Cancun. We wanted to avoid the spring break crowd, so we made our way over to Tulum and spent a few days there swimming, eating fish tacos, and generally being lazy. We also got to see our friends Johnny and Brian (calling Brian a friend is a bit of a stretch, since I met him for the first time in Tulum, but I had heard so much about him that I'm doing it anyway) but I was lame and forgot to take a photo to commemorate the experience. Just imagine that the four of us are there when you're looking at the pictures of the ruins (I promise we were.)



It was a little hard to adjust my normal life in Toluca after all that fun, but somehow, I'm managing. And FYI, this post was written as much to remind myself of how fortunate I am as it was to share my experience with you all because, ya know, in five years, if I'm having a terrible day, I can look at this at be like "WOW, life is amazing." Don't you think? 

(More photos here.)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.