Spoken Word, an Introduction

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 | |

On Monday, I had my most fun literature class yet at the Normal. Class was at 7 in the morning and I didn't expect the students to be too focused - especially since daylight savings had started the day before AND we were scheduled to leave for a field trip right after class - so I decided to do something that would really grab their attention... spoken word poetry!

We talked about the origins of the genre, the Harlem Renaissance, and the Beat generation, and then we actually started watching some spoken word performances. We had a lot of fun watching the videos, so I thought I'd share them with you - enjoy!

"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" by Gil Scott-Heron


"Make Me More Mexican" by David A. Romero


"Fuck I Look Like" by Kai Davis


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.