Hidalgo - Pachuca, Mineral del Chico, Real del Monte

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 | |

We're almost up-to-date now, I promise!

Two weekends ago, I took my second out-of-the-estado trip to Hidalgo. Another Fulbrighter, Allie, is living in Pachuca, Hidalgo's capital city and it seemed like a good time to visit her and some of her state's pueblos mágicos (a government designation for little towns with particular cultural/natural beauty.)

Allie still hadn't found her own apartment but nevertheless, she was a fabulous host and managed to arrange for the both of us to stay with some of her friends that weekend. Friday night, we crashed with her friend Sky, an American who was full of cool stories and little bits of wisdom she had picked up traveling around Latin America. It was really wonderful to be able to have some meaningful conversations (in English) with someone different (and to enjoy a few cups of tea with new friends.) 

The next day, another one of Allie's friends took us to Mineral del Chico, an incredibly beautiful pueblo mágico about an hour outside of Pachuca. We spent an hour or two walking around the town before torrential rain forced us to seek shelter in a great little restaurant. Mineral del Chico is known for its trout, so of course I had to try some (cooked with local apples and absolutely delicious.)


Once the rain died down, we headed for Real del Monte, another pueblo mágico. It wasn't quite as charming as Mineral del Chico, but it was still lovely, and I got the chance to try my first paste (a Hidalgo treat, the Mexican version of a British pasty; mine was filled with chorizo and onions.)


We made it back to Pachuca in time to see the sun set over the city and then we spent the evening hanging out with another one of Allie's friends. After a lazy morning and a lunch of barbacoa and fresh orange juice, I was on my way back to Toluca, happy and refreshed.


Pachuca isn't too different from Toluca but it was so good to be able to get away for a few days and spend some time somewhere that wasn't so touristy. Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to get to all those tourist destinations (Oaxaca, Guanajuato, Guadalajara, etc.) but it was nice to mix it up a bit. For whatever reason, spending a few days in Hidalgo was exactly what I needed and yet another reminder of the joy and peace I will find if I just leave myself open to receive it. And I guess that's one of the big things I'm here to learn, right?

(More photos here.)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.